Note: This match has been suspended until futher notice while we seek a new site for it.
The NRA Whittington Center Magnum Rifle Match is an extreme long range rifle competition for rifles chambered in 6.5mm up to .338 caliber magnum cartridges.
Reactive armor steel targets of various sizes are located in natural terrain at ranges from approximately 900 to 2000 yards and engaged from a bipod supported prone position.
The match is shot in three strings at 8 targets of varying distance plus a single bonus target engaged with the last string only. Shooters receive 2 points for a first round hit or 1 point for a second round hit. The bonus target is 5 points resulting in a total maximum score of 53 points. The maximum round count is 49.
Preregistration for the match is required on Practiscore*. All registered competitors must also sign in at the match. Competitors that fail to sign in by 7:30 AM Saturday are subject to forfeiture of their requested squadding and/or spot in the match.
Plan to arrive by 7:00 AM for sign-up and practice before the match which starts at 8:00 AM. The match is usually finished by noon.
Current target distances are as follows (yards):
875, 1125, 1319, 1462, 1606, 1790, 1880, 2023 plus the bonus target at 1760
- Competitors must practice good muzzle control and firearm safety at all times.
- Competitors that do not handle their firearms safely will be subject to immediate match disqualification (see Safety Rule 10).
- Do not ever allow the muzzle of your firearms to point at anyone.
- Do not load your firearms until directed to do so by a Range Officer.
- Do not put you finger on the trigger until your sights are aligned with your target.
- Obey all Range Officer Commands immediately.
- Rifles may only be uncased on the firing line upon the direction of a range officer. Any time the rifle is set down on the ground, the muzzle must be pointed down range and away from any people. Rifles must be recased on the firing line before removal.
- Rifles must remain unloaded with magazines removed and actions open at all times except when directed to load by a Range Officer.
- Range Officers include the Match Director and any persons designated by him to act in the capacity of a Range Officer.
- All firearms must be unloaded and confirmed to be clear by a Range Officer before removal from the designated Firing Line.
- Safety glasses and hearing protection must be worn by both competitors and spectators at all times when the firing line is “hot”.
- Any accidental discharge of a firearm is considered a serious safety violation and will subject the offender to disqualification (see Safety Rule 10).
- The violation of any safety rule may result in immediate disqualification from competing further in the match with no refund of match fees.
- At the sole discretion of the Match Director, the violation of any safety rule may also result in disqualification from future matches.
- Competitors may use only one rifle during the match. If a rifle becomes inoperable and cannot be repaired, the Match Director may allow a replacement rifle.
- Target engagements lost due to an inoperable rifle will be scored as misses.
- All rifles must be equipped with a functioning safety, subject to the discretion of the Match Director.
- Any rifle that is (or can be) demonstrated to allow the hammer or striker fall without the trigger being depressed is prohibited.
- The fore end of the rifle may only be supported by an attached, folding field-style bipod. The butt stock of the rifle may be supported by bags or an attached folding monopod. Other support devices are prohibited.
- Cartridge Restrictions: 6.5mm up to .338 caliber magnum cartridges only. Maximum muzzle velocity is 3200 fps. Only copper jacketed, lead core hunting or match style bullets are permitted. Tracers, incendiaries, monolithic, armor piercing bullets as well as bullets with any steel content are specifically prohibited.
- Ammunition that can not be unloaded from the rifle’s chamber as a complete cartridge using only the rifle’s action is prohibited. Ammunition that must be fired to be unloaded is prohibited.
*Practiscore Link for all Sporting Rifle Match Events:
If you have questions you may contact the Match Director, Mike Kolar by phone at 303-882-9213. You can also email match staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 2004-2022 Mike Kolar, Michael Field and Zak Smith, All Rights Reserved. Web design and hosting by DEMIGOD LLC